Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Technology?? Evil?? Occasionally. Goooddd??? Sometimes

 I made this video literally the morning before class on my iPhone because I put it off, disappointing myself as a film major. But I wanted to express the good things technology has brought us. Making it easy to organize academics, looking up ANYTHING instantly. Bringing lots of new knowledge to the regular people of the world. However, because everything is so easily accessible, it has some downsides. There is so much spread of misinformation. And the biggest shock to me, is opening twitter and the first thing I see half the time is a video of someone getting killed. 

This aspect of technology has added to my crippling anxiety as I always find myself getting intrusive thoughts about these violent acts or even natural accidents I see. I remember seeing a video of some students fall off a balcony because the railing broke and you literally watch a kid break his back and instantly die. I saw this at the peak of my anxiety thus far and I was terrified to leave my dorm, bawling in my bedroom because the ceiling could cave in any minute and crush me to death. 

"It isn't that I don't like current events. There have just been so many of them lately." (McLuhan pg. 71)

Some people, especially in older generations, refuse technology whether it's because it's too confusing, too much propaganda, etc. Even those of us in younger generations still become effected by drastic changes in technology. 

Because of the denial of growing technology and media, and the poor use of it, society is "marching backwards into the future" from holding on to past ways of communication. Looking forward would help us learn to use these ongoing technological advances for ways that are good. 

Experimental Video

I used clips of me transiting to electronic work to show the advancements in academic settings. For the audio I just used a clip of me typing with the news playing in the background to represent media and technology being so accessible that I can do multiple things at once.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Technology?? Evil?? Occasionally. Goooddd??? Sometimes

 I made this video literally the morning before class on my iPhone because I put it off, disappointing myself as a film major. But I wanted ...